Canadian economy is largely dependent on the imports at it mostly estimates to roughly about CAD$54.7 billion dollars a year. And among this, car imports account a great chunk. There are major deals available to the customers who are interested in buying cars in the US or abroad. Hence, it has become a common practice for the Canadians to buy cars outside and import it within the nation. Importing the vehicles is a very straightforward process but you need to take a few steps to get everything right. You will need to accumulate all the needed documents before you begin the import process. Here we will try to clear all your related doubts.
Can cars be imported from countries other than the US?
If the car you have bought is not certified to be sold in the US, then there are less chances that it will be certified to get used in Canada. Most vehicles manufactured in other countries are not qualified to enter Canada because they do not align with the requirements of Motor Vehicles Safety Act. If you are bringing the vehicle from some other country, there will be additional taxes, duties, fees or modifications.
Are there any inadmissible cars to Canada?
Yes, there are few vehicles which one cannot import to Canada. If the vehicles are not meeting the requirements of the CMVSS, the entry will be restricted. Any vehicle not meeting the Canadian safety standards will not get the clearance or the permission to enter the nation.
The steps to importing a car to Canada
Here the necessary steps you need to follow:
- You need to first check if the vehicle you want to import is permitted in the country.
- Obtain an ITN by filing the AES.
- Check if the vehicle is meeting all the safety standards as mentioned.
- Check if you are meeting all the other government agency requirements properly.
- Proceed to complete the AES Filing with the customs department of USA.
- Start preparing all the import documents which will be required eventually.
- The next step will involve an inspection and you need to get ready for it.
- The required duties and taxes need to be paid in the next step.
After the completion of all the above steps, you will be able to import your car without much worries. You can hire the team of Clearit car importing to make the process simpler and easier.